National statistics state approximately 20,000 people annually are injured by garage doors, most of which occurring at a person’s own home.
- Move control buttons and remotes high enough that children can’t reach them.
- Keep hands and fingers away from panel joints. Always use a remote or handle when lifting a garage door to prevent finger damage or loss.
- Never attempt to remove, adjust, or replace garage door springs, cables, rollers, hinges or brackets without proper tools and training as garage doors are under extreme tension and can cause serious injury or death.
- Automatic openers installed before 1993 should be replaced with updated technology that follows the latest safety requirements to insure safe and secure door operation.
- Teach your children about garage door safety. Never allow them to ride the garage door or play with remotes to prevent injury or death.
- Approximately 80% of all residential wind damage starts with entry through the garage. If a garage door fails, high wind can enter in-home through the garage and blow out doors, windows, and even the walls or the roof.
- If your car is parked outside, don’t leave your windows open or doors unlocked with remotes in plain view. Remotes make for an easy house key for someone to steal.
- The garage door is the largest moving object on a home. Annual maintenance is suggested to help keep you garage door running safely.
At J & S Overhead Garage Door Service LLC we specialize in garage doors and garage door services including Garage Door Openers, and Garage Door Repair in Virginia Beach, Chesapeake, Newport News, Hampton, Suffolk, Norfolk and Portsmouth. Contact us today for a free estimate! Browse the rest of our site at garagedoors-va.com for more information on our Garage Doors, Openers and Repairs.